The Kelley Kronicles

Welcome to our blog!

Monday, December 15, 2008

Mission Update

I bet some of you were wondering all week, as we were, what was going on with Zach and all the riots in Greece. Well, here's the answer:

"So, the riots are still going on. It pretty much consists of students running around at night throwing molotovs, rocks, and fireworks at the police and the police throwing them back. It was very bad in the beginning of the week but now it's kind of dying down. I don't know what CNN says but this isn't about the kid that got shot. He was only the spark, this is just a manifestation of extreme discontent with the Government and the economic situation. And the government isn't doing to much to stop it all. Every night the rioters go out and break windows to stores and banks and usually set them on fire. Some of the missionaries that live downtown in a few of the cities even got tear gas in their apartments (even though they are 4+ floors up!) But since Thursday we've been going out like normal. Things are really quiet in my area. Now on to the other questions....

We were in the apartment from Monday night to Wednesday night (we were able to go shopping and stuff in the mornings but not in proselyting clothes). I probably could have done more with all that time I had but after a while you can't study anymore and you just want to go out...but then when it was time to go out again it felt weird. I never want to stay in for a full day ever again. Elder Astle is a funny kid and we get along really well, no problems so far. My new apartment is really big and a has a fireplace (the fires kept us warm and entertained during that time inside). It is really close to a metro stop which is really convenient. My new area is really big and seems to have a little of everything. One of our eternal investigators is Éùáííçò and he owns a big bakery. We go over fairly often and we help him out baking things for service sometimes! The branch is fairly large, about 20 members every week (including embassy families, other random Americans, and Greek and resident members). It was weird to be there and not have to do anything at all. I'm not sure if I want to stay here for very long. So, when I was coming here I heard about all the people we were teaching in this area...but the Elder that was here went Zone Leader in the next area over and happened to take most of them (the best) with him. So I am pretty much right were I was back when I first went to Öáëçñï. Elder Rice stayed where he was and they actually had a little tear gas get into the apartment...from 6 stories up! Elder Hall is doing fine in Kavala and I guess they had some foolishness going on there as well. I don't know when I will call on Christmas but I will let you know next Monday. Other than that nothing is really happening here."

Love You,
Zach

No comments: