The Kelley Kronicles

Welcome to our blog!

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mission Update x 2. Again.

Okay. I know I haven't posted Zach's emails in a few weeks. We were in Kentucky for 6 days (later post) and then Kam and I went to BYU-Idaho the day after we got back from Kentucky to find her housing for next year (another post to come.....I bet you can't wait!). And we got home Sunday night and then "real life" started again the minute we got home. This past week was spent trying to get caught up after being gone for 11 days.....I think we should always have a vacation to get over our vacation. :o)

Here's what Zach wrote March 9:

Sounds like you're having a fun trip...wish I could be there. If you want, you could send me a UK tshirt, medium, and nothing flashy...white maybe? I don't need anything from BYUI except for maybe letters! But you probably can't do anything about that. I got Grandma and Grandpa's package! So much candy! I'm trying to make it stretch as much as possible and I'm also going to send them a large envelope with a few trinkets inside and yes, I am still working on the package I will send home! I need to do it pretty quick since there is a chance that I'll be in Cyprus in April so we'll see (I don't want to end my mission in Cyprus!).

Oh, Elder Astle and I had an epiphany (greek word), we saw that jump drives are ridiculously cheap so...I bought one. Now I'm putting music and pics and all sorts of stuff on it! So easy! I got a 4gb for 9 euro! But I will still send picture cds home...probably one more in the next few weeks.

This week was better, not sure why but it was. Elder Astle is great and we're working hard. We have zone conference tommorrow and I'm really excited to see what president has to say. And we also have 2 dinner appointments withe American families and one other with another member! We will eat well this week and will probably find a way to get by without cooking again! Although, I bought this pesto sauce and made an ok pasta salad last night. Oh, there's something interesting. Do you know where "o.k." comes from? So the Greeks tell me that in the US when there were many Greek immigrants, many worked in shipping, and many still do today. So, when the greeks would do their reports and all that they would write o.k. on the sheet if everything was good. Well, if you want to say all is well in Greek you say üëá êáëÜ ...so...an abbreviation would naturally be o.k.! Wierd huh?

The weather is warming up (I'm kind of sad about for 3 reasons: one, it is so much easier to put a jacket on, two, it is easy to warm up in the winter but hard to cool off in the summer (especially with no ac), and 3, when it gets hot Greek girls stop wearing clothes.

In case you didn't notice I'm in a better mood this week and I hope it continues.

So...I still have not met 3 of my uncles...how are they? I've also been wondering about Samuel, what is he up to?

Umm...I don't remember what else I wanted to tell you...umm...Church was good. One Greek less-active member that we have been working with, Mike, came to church for the 5th time since I've been here. That is really something considering that before I came he hadn't been for months. (not that it's any of my doing, it being Christmas time helped to get him out the first time).

Well, If I think of anything else I'll just send another email.

Love, Zach

And here's what he sent us Monday, March 16:

I had a good week. The top floor of Kam's building was actually in my ward at school (we found Kam's housing on our trip)...

We went to Chalkida this morning with our investigator who is the baker. It's a nice little village and the weird thing is that it's actually an island with bridges to the mainland. The tide there goes one direction for 6 hours and then switches for another six hours and no one knows why. It was nice to go on a little bit of a drive through the countryside.

The rest of the week was nice. At zone conference they set a new standard for the mission, 6 new GOOD investigators every week = 1 baptism every 7-8 weeks....This is HUGE! At first it seemed impossible. We havn't had a new investigator this entire transfer, much less 6 every week! But it makes sense and the first part of zone conference was about not fearing or doubting...so we are trying not to. We have made some big changes in how we do the work and we worked hard this week and...let's just say we're still in the trial of our faith...I'm really interested to see when it ends and when we will start seeing those new investigators...

Umm...we had 2 dinner appointments with American Families this week and that was kind of nice.

I'm really tired right now and I can't think of anything else to tell you...so...I love you

Zach

No comments: