I've been running with a group of ladies for over a year now, and another group before that. We'd meet at the church at 5:15 am every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and we'd joke that while we were running we'd solve the problems of the world. We laughed, joked, solved our own problems, solved each other's problems and became friends. Great friends. We even named our group in honor of running a half marathon together: S.W.E.E.T -- Sisters Who Endure to the End Together. Kind of says it all.
When I was called to teach seminary, I must admit my running, or the possibility of not being able to run anymore, was one of the first things that entered my mind. My running has been my sanity saver for almost 10 years now. One of my favorite quotes is by Shakespeare: "Bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." So, I formulated a plan: a couple of ladies said they'd run with me right after seminary, and since our kids didn't start school until 9 am, it was a perfect plan. I would still get to run, and they'd get to sleep in! Until.....we didn't get Kailen into ANY of the three schools with 9 am start times that we tried to enroll her in (yes, we went through another school boundary change this year.....). So, that perfect running plan went right down the drain since she starts school at 8 am. (We weren't trying to get her into these schools so I could run, they are better schools than the one whose boundary we live within).
So, I tried the treadmill a couple of times. Strongly dislike the treadmill, even while watching a movie I haven't seen before. I do okay with the elliptical, but it's not the same as running. One day, after an "interesting" day at seminary (chatty kids, wiggly kids), I needed to clear my head. Badly. So, after Kailen left for school, I went running. John doesn't like me to go running alone, but I took my cell phone and stayed on the well-traveled streets in our neighborhood. It was hot. Very, very, hot. And humid (we're in the middle of monsoon season). And very sunny. But I did okay. Another day my wonderful friend, Laurie, biked with me while I ran. Love her for that, and loved running. I got to run on Labor Day with my group and was so excited the night before that I had a hard time going to sleep. Some of my group are going to run with me in the mornings when it cools down and we get our kids off to school. But that time's still several weeks away.
Today I was really missing my running, so tonight after Family Home Evening was over, I said, "I need to go running." Wasn't sure how that was going to happen. Then my wonderful husband said, "I'll bike with you while you run." That was all he needed to say. We were out the door a few minutes later. I ran 3 miles, except for a couple of stops for water (note to self: drink more water during the day!). So exciting! And my time wasn't too shabby, considering I haven't run for two weeks. And even though it was still 93 degrees outside. And most importanly, my head is clear. It was a great run -- one of those where I go into auto-pilot mode and just run. So needed that.
Now I need to figure out how to fit in more night-time runs..... :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment