The Kelley Kronicles

Welcome to our blog!

Monday, August 18, 2008

Mission Update

This is what we received from Zach today:

"Hey, I just read the blog, you put a ton on it! My birthday was good, the cake from Sis Corry was amazing, some kind of apple cake or something like that. I didn't get the package yet but most likely next week. We had a lesson with the Nigerian family (the wife is Nigerian, the Husband is Greek and they lived in the US for a long time) on my birthday, and then we went doorknocking and got let in (first time this transfer) to a really nice 35 yr old Kurdish guy who was really interested in what we were sharing. So it was a good day. So then on the way home we stopped by McDonalds and got strawberry milkshakes and some of the best fries I have ever had. Then we went home, grabbed two forks and dug into the cake and it was glorious. We were definitely plastered at the end of the day but it was an awesome day. We've been focusing on getting 20 lessons a week and have been calling everyone we can to try to get lessons. Church was good, I taught the lesson and it went well. Oh, I guess a greek lady won something in Track? I just saw it in the newspaper...well, at the complex where we do sports contacting is the Olympic training center for the track athletes and I've seen her running around all the time.

Hmmm...It was a busy week but I can't seem to remember what else happened...we had zone conference, taught 3 lessons, and talked to a lot of people...oh yeah! Panagia day! It was Friday, and it's a huge holiday here in Greece. It's supposedly the day that the virgin mary died and it's an enormous party. So we were walking home (with another McDonalds milk shake) and we turn the corner and see this enormous throng of Greek people walking in procession with about 30 papades (priests and bishops) and a huge arc of the covenant looking thing and a band and police and A LOT of people...right in front of our house! So we figured it was wise to wait until they turned and passed...but when we did head home we had to walk through a large group of people and Greeks are usually a lot braver and fanatic on their holidays so a few people demanded from us to know what we were doing there, and so I answered that we lived there...but then they went all Orthodox on us and told us that we had nothing to do here in Greece because its "Orthodox Greece". So yeah, I'm just glad the holiday is over and people will start coming back. We hit a building with 29 doorbells and not one answered...I'm just glad people will start coming back.

My Greeny is coming on well, he's really smart and an English major and we got let in for the first time this week (my birthday) and I think he understands a little better now. Other than that we're beat. Oh, whats the peach cobbler recipe? We're going to try it in the oven this week or next week. We're having a few minor electrial problems with our apartment right now and since it's the holidays an electrician is hard to come by, but I've used a little Varsity-learned ingenuity to make everything work for now.

Love you,
Zach"

Gotta' love email as a missionary mom! :o)

No comments: